Fwd: RC: RE: Re: Suitable dog

In a message dated 2/18/01 11:10:45 PM Pacific Standard Time,
maryanne@ratbusters.net writes:

Although I have 11 dogs at home, oddly enough, I never take any of them for
riding

This would be us as well. My favorite ranch dog is the one who comes when
called, stays at heel until asked to do otherwise, and most importantly of
all, doesn't mind at ALL staying home while I ride. Aside from being against
local and regional ordinances to have dogs in public off leash is the always
present opportunity to be hit by a car (city), chased into Lord knows where
by coyote packs(anywhere) or jumped by bobcats or cougars (adjacent
parklands). Our dogs - all adopted Collies - are excellent ranch dogs, would
never DREAM of chasing the horses or jumping out of the yard, and they are
far too precious to us to risk on a jaunt down the trail. They have all had
bad beaks in the past - we want to give them a loving, long life now.

---- Begin included message ----
Although I have 11 dogs at home, oddly enough, I never take any of them for riding. Part of this is the fact that we have feral dog packs in the desert and semi-feral farm dogs along the trail. I have a Dalmation (my daughter's rescue) and would concur that they must be cared for with some concern for enough water. Egypt is too dry to use them riding. The majority of my dogs are working Rat Terriers and are, frankly, too valuable at their hunting to risk with riding, much to their dismay. The Corgi??? forget it, but a friend of mine regularly rides 15 mile rides in the desert with his cocker spaniel. Roger (the cocker) is happy as a clam, but usually detours through an irrigation canal on the way home so he arrives in a fairly disgusting state. The baladi (tame, semi-feral mutts) can do the distance easily...the stable dog is a good example. Bess goes out regularly with "her" horses and has to be locked up when she's with pups to keep her home, and she's been known to do an easy 50 km in the desert, but most of them are too smart and knowing. They realise they are in for a lot of work and curl up on the porch to guard the water bowl while you are gone.  Bess, who is a shepherdish type, currently has a litter of half Great Dane pups who could be really interesting companions. Originally Danes were bred as sight hounds, to follow deer until the deer dropped of exhaustion. Morad and Hortense will be looking for homes for these guys. Anyone want a pup from Egypt?

Maryanne Stroud Gabbani
Cairo, Egypt
maryanne@ratbusters.net
www.ratbusters.net