Tying up

Yesterday I was at the  NATRC convention  at Cal Poly Pomona ,and we had a talk/discussion of Tying Up Syndrome by Dr . Kobluk.     I took some notes, and I'll share them with you also with my own experience.  I have a mare who occasionally ties up.  She might due it when she is very fit and frisky, and has laid up for a few days due to bad weather, or if I'm gone. Then if I were to lounge her or turn her out and she does any explosive activity, bolting, bucking, jumping snorting that  kind of thing....watch out.  I have to stop her from acting that way and make her warm up for about 15 minutes carefully, when she is in those moods.  Likewise Dr. Kobluk related that "tying up occurs in the Type II muscle fibers, the fast twitch muscles."  And that it is indeed a different circumstance when it occurs after a long workout, it is more common in the first few minutes.   Some of the treatments of tying up are fluid therapy to flush the kidneys, especially in severe cases they get IV fluids.  Some vets still use Sodium Bicarbonate, and it is uncertain if it's really effective (I have done that before, and it helped)  Vitamin E and Selenium are old favorites,  BUT make sure the animal is actually Selenium deficient (here in So. Calif we are not)  too much selenium is toxic.  Also there is a high risk of anaphylaxis (allergic reaction) to I.V. or  intramuscular  Vit.E and Selenium, it's safer for the layperson to give it by mouth.    Watch out for Bute and Banamine which are pain killers, they also increase the stress on the kidneys at a bad time. Tranquilizers can sometimes be helpful.   Hormonally, they say the young filly's in season at the track are  very high risk, it may be useful to put mares on Regumate. Also check for hypo thyroidism as a cause.   The most important thinggs are these;   Proper electrolyte supplemention with exercise.  Consistent exercise, with regular turn out, not confining these animals to a small pen. Nutritionally, cut out the grain, and the high protein (alfalfa) stuff, however do it gradually cutting your alfalfa 1/2 pound per day while switching to a grass hay, otherwise we'll be talking about "Colic related to ileocecal syndrome" next week.   Go with the beet pulp and add fat to the diet for increased energy. Corn oil is good and cheap and also contains Vitamin E.     See I learned something of use to somebody yesterday!  If you carefully manage your mare, you should be able to enjoy competing with her.  Good luck to you,  Beth Glover