Farlowa

Heidi,

Re:  your post about the Farlowa stallion you have...funny that should
come up, as a few years ago, I found a lovely, talented Farlowa stallion
out of a Ferneyn daughter (sister to my Raffalin).  He was foaled in
1977, (? I'll have to dig out his papers)  had been broke, but not used
much, and had mostly just hung out in a pasture all his life.  He
disposition was sterling, and his owner agreed to lease him to me for
preservation breeding purposes, and as a riding horse.  So I brought him
home, and bred him to a couple of mares.  Although he hadn't bred at all
previous to that, he was so easy to manage, and no problem to breed,
even by myself.  All the mares he bred got in foal.  He also turned out
to be a wonderful riding horse;  a real pleasure in every way.  With
Tevis in mind, I started conditioning, hoping  for the 1996 ride.  But
unfortunately, he developed and internal cancer around the stomach
lining, and we had to put him down.  He was so talented & so noble!  To
the good, I got 2 colts from him; one is now 5, broke, and a wonderful
stallion & endurance prospect (won best condition at his first ride!)
The other is a 4 yr. old gelding, broke, beautiful, tough & talented,
with a big, ground-eating trot.  Anyway, long story shortened:  these
Farlowa (Abu Farwa) grandsons seem to be ideal endurance prospects;
tough, good minds, low mantainence, and good-looking.  It'll be
interesting to see how they do over the long haul; they are built to
last!  (Both of their dams are out of a Ferneyn daughter, and are 1/2
sisters to my good endurance horse, Raffalin.)
Good luck with your Farlowa horses!

Sarah Zegers
"Good Horses Make Short Miles" @