shoes, no shoes

There are quite a few horses that are wearing shoes that don't need them.
There are also horses that are poorly shod. (and trimmed)
Understandably they don't have healthy feet.

That said,  I have kept most of my horses most of their lives in big
pastures, 24/7.  Have only had a few that performed top of their game
barefooted.   When in the "great outdoors"  off trails and roads, maybe in
the rocks, they did not always move out boldly when needed, they were
carefully picking their way, and the cows got away.
In the arena, they were sometimes too careful, losing time.
 In the mud barefoot and regular shoes are about the same.   On pavement
barefoot is not as apt to slip.  Ice is another story.
I have had horses with as hard and tough feet as you will ever find,  but
even these could not be ridden steady without shoes.   The foot just can't
grow fast enough to keep up with the wear.   They will last longer on dry
grassy prairies, though.
I find most horses begin to lose some ability when shoes are on 6 weeks or
longer,  some as early as 4 weeks.  The tenths of a second can cost a
placing in speed events, as well as risk a sprain or slip.   Shoes on too
long will bring on fatigue earlier in an endurance ride.
Not many riders kept horses in a more "natural" environment than the Native
Americans in the great plains,  but they sometimes were forced to put
rawhide boots on horses on long trips.  (I've seen these in museums)
If you and your horse can do well without shoes, you will both be better
off.
If you are going to be riding lots of miles often,  if your footing is
unforgiving, if you are expecting demanding perfomances,  some form of
protection is needed.