Re: RC: Feeding suggestions/ enteroliths

Hi Beth,

Thanks for all the info!  Unfortunately, I don't think any of those feed stores you mentioned would deliver to me.  We are out in the Sunland area of the San Fernando Valley.  We have basically one (very) local feedstore, and then a few about 10 miles away in Burbank to choose from.  Believe me, we have been scouring the area and have yet to find a nice blended hay.  Like Susan said, all we seem to find is glorified straw!  It is very frustrating.

I am going to look into putting them back on the oat/barley (straw or not) and hopefully some grass if I can find it, and supplementing with either beet pulp or maybe that Purina Complete Advantage that Susan mentioned.

Oh, and as far Chino, I have heard about that collection of stones they have!  My friend Susan who boards my horse took her Arab there after we found a small stone in his manure.  They x-rayed him and saw more, so she opted for elective surgery.  They found one stone the size of a large grapefruit, and seven smaller ones.  He bounced right back from the surgery and was back to his old self, only to die tragically about 6 monts ago.  :0(  Anyway, they showed Susan all the stones they had there and she said some were the size of basketballs!  Yikes!

Take care,

Jennifer

beth glover wrote:

Hi ridecamp, Jennifer and Susan- I suspect you too might be neighbors! I too live here in the San Gabriel valley.  I have been giving some "beet pulp a la Garlinghouse", but also find it inconvenient when I'm working, and not around.  I have been able to get a nice 4 way Oat hay from R&L feed in Chino (ph 909-628-7016) sometimes at Caballero feed, in Ontario (ph 909-947-3814 or at San Dimas Grain 909-592-1951.  However, nobody has had any for a month or two.  It contained, Oats hay, Barley, Alfalfa, and Grass, and the horses ate it well. I know a guy who was snooping around in Ontario and found a feed store with 5 way. I'm not sure what the fifth thing was.  I also get "Low Energy" pellets, made by Ace High, and they are Alfalfa, Oat. I saw some other mills make an Alf/Oat pellet too, at the Equine affaire. I just haven't seen them around here. The problem is getting the little darlings to eat the nutritious meals I prepa! re.  Almost like kids.  What I am doing now is get a clean muck bucket, and I mix up the oat hay I have, with some alfalfa.  (One of my mares languishes if she doesn't get any alfalfa) The alfafla is so tasty it causes  them to eat the oat hay, while trying to get the alfalfa.  If I have someone feeding for me, I'll make the hay up the day before, I weigh it, and put it into empty feed bags so the person feeding for me can just pour  the bag of feed into the feeder and the horses get what I prepared. I was giving a little bermuda just for browsing during the day, my boarder had a coronary, 'cause she  knew a vet who said it also caused impaction.  But I don't believe it to be so if you give it in moderation, not as a complete meal that they may bolt down, and I think the wet beet pulp also helps in this regard.  I've been to the Chino hospital many a time, trailering friends horses or visiting, and they! have a collection of enteroliths you wouldn't believe, they could practically sell the things they get so many. Like for teaching or something. One of my friends lost a Quarter horse when he had one removed, and then moved another one the day after surgery, and got impacted again. (Too bad they missed that second one...) They had to put him down finally.  I think it's a peculiar Southern Calif. problem that is very common here. I have heard local folks say they give some Apple Cider vinegar every day to try to prevent it, also Psyllium for sand colic, but I don't know if the Vinegar has been studied or proven (Susan?)    Hope some of this may help. See you around! Beth Glover