Re: Re: early nutrition for future distance horses

> > am wondering how to properly feed for optimal growth.  My "Feeding To
Win"
> > book says 1 lb. of a foal concentrate (15.5% - 16% protein) per 100 lbs.
> of
> > body weight fed daily (in 2-3 feedings) +  free choice hay.   Is this
how
> > people raising endurance-bred foals are feeding?  Unfortunately, pasture
> > won't green up for a few more months, so I need to get by on dry feeds.
> > Can/will foals eat beetpulp mashes??  Any reason not to feed her some?

The Feeding To Win suggestions are fine, assuming the 1 lb of grain per 100
lb of body weight is her present body weight, not expected mature body
weight (more on that in a minute). Adding a little beet pulp is also fine.
If you're feeding any at all, limit the alfalfa to no more than 1/2 pound
per 100 lbs of expected mature body weight.  Personally, my babies don't get
it, nor do they need it.  Don't add fats (corn oil and the like), and make
sure the grain mix is one specifically formulated for growing babies---the
minerals are different and getting it right is REALLY IMPORTANT at this
stage.  Specifically, you need to pay attention especially to zinc, copper
and a decent quality protein source (ie, soybean meal).

There are some notes on my website from when I taught nutrition at Cal Poly
specifically about avoiding developmental orthopedic disease, mins and max
for grain and alfalfa and such that you might find relevant at
http://www.shady-acres.com/susan/10.html .  These were my lecture notes, so
mildly cryptic, but you should get the gist.

I would also advise caution in ponying much at a young age---exercise is
great, but concussion can also bring on DOD, so use common sense (as I know
you will)  Good luck!

Susan G