early nutrition for future distance horses

I just bought a 6 month old gaited Morab to grow up in our canyons and now I
am wondering how to properly feed for optimal growth.  My "Feeding To Win"
book says 1 lb. of a foal concentrate (15.5% - 16% protein) per 100 lbs. of
body weight fed daily (in 2-3 feedings) +  free choice hay.   Is this how
people raising endurance-bred foals are feeding?  Unfortunately, pasture
won't green up for a few more months, so I need to get by on dry feeds.
Can/will foals eat beetpulp mashes??  Any reason not to feed her some?
Also, once the filly is settled in and leading well, is there any reason not
to pony it along for short slow rides (3-5 miles)?  I want to raise my own
ultimate distance horse, this is going to be FUN. :-)

Thanks

Michelle
(Colorado)