Re: ex-racers

First off, I don't own an ex-racer.  I too have watched and read the posts
about using ex-race horses for endurance.  With the caveat that I am
Not-an-Expert-by-any-Means, there are a couple of qualities, in addition to
what you mentioned (conditioning, desensitizing to crowds and hoopla, etc.)
that could warrant a second look at them.

1) Proven athletic ability.
2) Maybe a shot of extra speed, with good long strides.  In case you want to
top ten rather than ride for miles and finishes.
3) Availability and price.  I really haven't done much looking myself, but
apparently, you can go to a racetrack and pick up a "failed" racehorse (i.e.
one that didn't win, but could well still be sound) for pretty cheap.  Some
of the big time breeders breed a lot of foals to get the one or two good
ones they are looking for.
4) There are some race bloodlines that have also excelled in endurance.
Witez II and Abu Farwa come to mind.  I'm sure there are others.  I was
recently browsing the Quadra Crown website.  (It's an Arab racing group).
In their stallion service auction, there were several stallions that have
pretty good endurance lines too.  In fact, the Van Gilders are there.  And,
not Quadra Crown, but the Bumgardners come to mind, with Sierra Fadwah.

That said, I would be cautious in that some racing bloodlines are bred for
relatively short bursts of speed - using those fast twitch muscles.  Not
particularly what you want for endurance.  And of course, the observations
that you need to be choosy about which one you pick, because of potential
soundness concerns.

Kris in Idaho