standardbreds

It's great to see so much about this breed.  I definitely agree
that they have wonderful dispositions!!!  and a great work
ethic!!!  When I was riding mine we were easily going 10 miles
evey other day and she was loving every minute of it.  Once
again he biggest downfall was her size....Winnie stood 16'1 and
was built like a warmblood. (almost confirmationly 100%
correct)...no matter what I did she never really was "racey"
looking.  When we bought her;  she was just turning 4 and I
think she would have filled out no matter if she had been on the
track or not.  The only thing I would really worry about with a
standardbred off the track is what was done while on the track
or in training.  I know that some trainers are injecting many of
the youngsters because of lameness problems....they are
constantly being scoped and poked and proded by vets to find out
why they aren't winning.  My girl was never on the track as she
was too slow.......so they never raced her....for that I'm
grateful.  After owning Winnie, I contacted some trainers (to
gain knowledge ) and once again, the breed is known for stomach
problems on the track.  So beware of horses off the
track......because of Winnie's size and lack of agility (that
was after 2 years of me working during the winter months on
flexing and ring work...she did improve but, not enough to
negotiate most of the tougher trails around here.) I would have
to think really hard on another.  I would definitely watch the
size ....another thing to watch for is string halt in the breed.

Don't mean to ramble but, I was so attached to Winnie that it
was heart breaking to have to find another home for her.  I
could ride her down our road and the semis and cows ....kids on
bikes nothing really bothered her.  The family that has her now
just loves her as much as I so I know it was the right
decision.  The breed's personality is just so sweet that they
are easy to love.