RE: Glucosamine &MSM Supplements

Karen Standefer hrschk@yahoo.com
I think it's a shame these two are not approved.  These two supplements are wonderful as preventatives and not just to help along a horse that has seen better days.  MSM promotes cell growth and I take it on a daily basis in fairly heavy doses.  Glucosamines help to lubricate joints and I also take these even though I don't have any joint related issues.  I had some muscle related injuries last year and my sports medicine Dr. had me try both for a couple of months to see if I noticed a difference.  I got tremendous nail and hair growth.  So, I tried them on my horse.  I saw the same results in him (well, hoof, but not hair :-)  He's young, has had no injuries, so doesn't NEED to be on them.  But, I would like to keep him on them because I see such a benefit for myself.  But, since we can't do it and attend rides, I don't.

On another note, a pasture buddy that was doing endurance who now has arthritis gets absolutely NO benefit from either.  I don't really think it can help a horse who should not be competing to be able to compete.

Karen Standefer