Crooked Tails

Years ago I started a horse in endurance training who fell (in hand)on wet grass with his hind end under him.  He exhibited classic back pain and eventually atrophy of his left hind muscling from the top of his butt to his pin bone when viewed from the back.  After the injury, I worked this horse on and off for more than 18 months using acupuncture and chiropractic (the latter having to endure the cynicism of my very traditional vet husband).  At any rate, I traded him to a pleasure riding home and ended up with the wild child I have now, who while not as safe, at least is sound.

My question:  the first horse developed an offset tail after his injury.  He had always carried his tail straight before the fall.  Just recently I have noticed my current horse (have ridden him on an off for four years), now in consistant training, is carrying his tail off to the side when being ridden.  He appears absolutely sound and happy.  We have been riding four times a week, mostly walk and jog for 5-10 miles a session.  He shows no lamesness or back pain.  His saddle seems to fit well.  I have trained and ridden distance horses for 20 years and never had this happen, though I am 20 pounds heavier than I used to be, I am fairly sure I am riding balanced.

Has any one had experience with crooked tails, especially when relating to injury?  Or do you think it is just coincidence and my current horse is responding to being legged up better than he ever was before.  He is 13, absolutely as symetical as a horse can be, 15.2 and 'sturdy'.  He is a Bay Abi and Alladdin  grandson (to give you an idea of his build).

Laura Hayes
AERC #2741