suspensory ligament and blistering

Hi all. My 15 yr. old gelding somehow pulled his suspensory ligament in the left front. Went to a very reputable "leg vet" who took blocked him to find the problem, took xrays (didn't show much but an old splint) and then ultrasound. The ultrasound showed some swelling in the area of the suspensory. He recommended I have him trimmed so the coronets are even and to have St. Croix light shoes with rim pads to be put on. I am to blister him for 5 days the first of Jan., 5 days the first of Feb. and 5 days the first part of March. He said he should be ready for light riding by end of March. I am planning on selling the horse because I don't have anymore time for him. Selling in the Spring is now out of the question. I had someone tell me that nobody will buy a horse who's been blistered but is it just the hair that'll give it away? That will grow back will it not?  I know this is an old time treatment but it's supposed to bring blood to the area to help it heal faster. The horse isn't getting any younger and I spent about $350.00 to find the problem. I don't want to throw all of his advice out the window. Would stall rest be a good idea to help healing faster? He didn't say he should be stalled. He said once I blister, I could let him out to pasture.
Thank you for any advice you could give me or any advice on the blistering.
Deb