Re: RC: Do slow, young horses ever speed up?

That must be the mare you sent me a picture of.  My anglo girl had to learn
to walk out, too.  When she was about 5 I had to push her at almost every
stride with my seat, and bump her with my legs now and then too.  I did that
until she picked up the pace, then quit pushing with my seat and legs until
she started to slow down.    When she went at a nice fast walk, I rode with a
following seat, then switched to a pushing seat when she slowed down.  At
first, I had to do it a LOT!  But eventually she got the point that I didn't
nag at her if she kept a good pace.  Now I just have to remind her once in a
while.  Good luck with her,  jeri