Do slow, young horses ever speed up?

KIMBERLY PRICE kprice@grizzlydesign.com
Well Karen, you know Mystery very well and the fact he is a very laid back
lazy horse.  He prefers to walk slow and trot to catch up which is very
irritating plus consumes too much energy.  In the arena, and if I try on
the trail, I can get him to extend his walk but takes too much energy from
me!  Our best rides are heading back to the barn when he is strong and not
as tired as he likes to let on going out! <g>

The other day I had to laugh as we were heading back to the barn and this
guy on a beautiful andalusian show horse tagged along to chat.  Mystery
outwalked that horse and he complimented on what a great walker he is!  If
only he saw him leaving the barn!

So I know the horse can do it...and he does at times..like in competition
(you also have seen him at those times) or when he is being competitive
like with Jazon's horses, and especially when he is in great shape and
feeling strong.  I appreciate his laid back qualities, and the fact that
he will take care of himself and tell me when he needs to rest.  I just
wish it also meant he didn't spook!  My next horse I would like to see
more go....  (not tripping over nothing go like Redcloud mind you, but a
go with some horse sense behind it!) <g>

Probably not much help here, just observations.  'If' I were you I would
continue to ride, maybe do some other things inbetween so the horse
doesn't get mentally burnt out (like trail trials or dressage lessons),
and see how it goes in competition, especially when the horse gets
stronger and more confident and enjoys the lead.  She still has alot of
growing (mentally) to do....

I hope you are enjoying the sunshine, green hills and perfect Cal.
weather.  Happy holidays to all!

Kimberly & Mystery the Morab.

http://www.grizzlydesign.com/merry.htm