barefoot opinion on corns

I just looked at a nice horse for a friend, the kicker is that the horse
has corns.  I must admit, I have had very little experience with
corns so I thought I would ask the list.  The horse has been
competed rather successfully in both endurance and CTR.  The
corns just showed up this season and the vet advised going
barefoot.  They did.  Corns went away, or so they thought.  Shod
the horse and they came back.  The vet is saying that this can be
fixed with proper shoeing, however I know the farrier and he thinks
the horse needs to go barefoot for 6 months or more before
shoeing.  This is a major consideration in buying this horse since
barefoot in the winter in Vermont means no riding the horse, period.
 So, you barefoot hotshots, will going barefoot fix this and what
happens when the horse is shod again?  Would a Natural Balance
shoe make a difference?
BTW, I rode my mare barefoot (ie. nude, naked, no EZ boots, no
nothing) on the Florida three day 100 in March and won it.  She
was super!
John and Sue Greenall
mailto:greenall@vermontel.net
http://www.vermontel.com/~greenall