Kind of off topic. Breeding

Breeding season is around the corner and I was just curious about something.  I have heard two conflicting opinions about breeding mares to larger stallions.  One opinion is that the foal can grow too large and cause complications.  The other argument I heard was that the foal only grows as large as the mare can handle.  I have personally seen a half saddlebred pony that was an accident.  A saddlebred stallion bred the pony mare.  No problems with delivery, however.