Re: Re: Re: hoof soreness

Pain CAN be masked but not by the horse... people mask a horse's pain,
usually with drugs (no, shoes do NOT mask pain). We often see problems with
people overbuting or buting way too long after a laminitic episode.  We
advise people to use drugs VERY judiciously and sparingly so that when the
horse IS experiencing pain, he will know it and therefore be able to adjust
his activities to prevent further damage and problems.  I don't believe a
horse will mask pain...they may persevere in SPITE of pain (look at
Ruffian's last race in 1975).  Horses like Ruffian have heart and will give
their "all" even in pain but you can TELL they are in pain.
Maggie