Re: Re: RE: 'religious component'

> > Maybe the purpose of the group is to help others and share experiences
> > interested in perusing barefoot endurance in a positive and supportive
> > atmosphere. I'm sure if any of the members want spend time defending
> > their
> > beliefs to others they can do that in many many other forums.

> I think this statement has quite a meaning, if you look behind it.  When
> barefooting is carried to such an extreme, it becomes a "belief", not a
> scientific methodology.

Twisting my words. Some sure appear good at taking one word and "spinning"
it in a whole new direction.

I'm beginning to "believe" that the reason Barney sent the "disturbing"
letter about the horse at SS... is because he was being sent embellished
versions of Robyn's account of the ride at SS. Did he ever see the real
version or just spun versions?

I don't think I'm blindly following anything or anyone. I am obscessive
about thoroughly researching anything I become interested it. I take what I
learn and develop my own plan of action and tweak it when some part needs
adjusting.

From: Heidi Smith
Subject: RC: Re: Re: Darolyn & Barefootin'

> > Exactly the question.... Are you preventing it (pain, soreness, damage)
> > or merely masking it (pain, soreness, damage)?
>
> That seems pretty obvious--clearly preventing it, since the damage does
> not occur in the first place.

Any research, double blind studies to show this? Or is there possibly some
blind following going on here?

From: Heidi Smith
Subject: RC: Re: RE: Darolyn and Barefootin'

> While I can buy a certain extent of this from poor shoeing methods, please
> explain why so many horses live sound and useful lives into their late
> 20's or early 30's wearing shoes and die with completely normal feet????

As I've seen stated many times, endurance horses seem to avoid many of the
problems caused by shoeing just by the sheer number of miles they do. I also
don't picture many owners cuting off their dearly beloved Muffy's feet when
she dies in her 30's because they want to see if her feet show any damage
from a lifetime of shoeing or not.

> And quite frankly, that is how barefoot riding is presented
> by a vocal few who keep bringing the subject up over and over again on
> this list.

Hmmm, as I recall this started when a very well respected endurance rider (I
think she is anyhow, course she's exploring barefooting, so maybe she's now
merely a cult member and no longer has anything meaningful to offer the
sport in some's eyes) sent an update on her recovery to the list, which she
also briefly responded to a previous question. Then the highschool pack
mentality (everyone will back me up on this and I'll look so cool, I mean no
one likes that kid with the old funny worn out coat, or the one with the
funny ears, or the one that goes to that church) reared it's ugly head,
somebody had to try to rile up the pack. In hopes of what... bringing this
thread up this again? Or was it to hopefully advance their postion within
the pack?? Hmmm, maybe I'm getting carried away here and "spin doctoring".
Sorry.

> citing over and over again one veterinarian who
> does not have good scientific methodology,

Oh really?? And you know this how? Read all her works in German? Researched
all her cites?

> Robyn's post, where she
> kept telling us how Barney thought her horse was doing just great, when
> indeed, that is not what Barney told her at all,

Really, that's not what I read in Robyn's post when I went to the archieves
last night to reread it.

> is a perfect example of
> this--how someone can be so wrapped up in "believing" something that they
> can't even hear or see what others try to point out about the obvious.

And the first half of this sentence (above starting with Robyn's) is is a
perfect example of twisting the actual words around to turn this into
something to throw to the pack, something a bit tastier and more likely to
get the pack riled up.

Cheryl who is going to try to go back to lurking.... was that a cheer I
heard   :o)