Re: RC: Trot, Trot, Trot!

At 08:59 AM 12/19/2001 -0800, julienne.rha.b@bayer.com wrote:
>Any tips and suggestions?

When you go to vet, bring a whip with you.  Explain to the vet, that you
are working on training your horse.  Ask if it is okay if you first trot
the horse out once without the whip.  When the horse does the trot out, and
is lazy -- then do it a second time.  This time using the whip to add a
little incentive.  Most vets are cooperative and will let you do this.  If
there is a long line, it might not make everybody behind you happy, so just
do it when the opportunity arises.

By having the horse trot out the second time with the whip is that they
will learn (at least, my lazy horses did) that hey, if I trot out decently
the first time, I won't have to do it twice!  Plus, they will begin to know
that they are expected to trot out well at rides.  They really do learn to
be lazy and take advantage at vet checks as they gain more experience.

Another thing you can do when you practice at home is swing the last foot
or two of your lead rope in your left hand as you ask your horse to trot
off.  Sometimes seeing that will get them going.  You may need to swing it
around and give your horse a little pop in the rear with the rope.  Once
they realize that the rope can do that, and you have it in your hands
everytime you trot them out -- that helps too.