Trot, Trot, Trot!

Hey everyone,

While everyone is flaming back and forth about barefootedness, I thought I might
slip in a question here.  It's probably been addressed before and I know some of
you have spoken about it - trot outs!

My mare just doesn't get the concept.. why should she have to trot 20 yards and
back?  What's the dern point mum?

We do practice a bit at home.. I usually carry a dressage whip and give her a
tap after I cluck to her to get her going.  A few times doing this and she's
going like a champ with just a cluck.. however when we're at rides, I usually
don't carry a whip with me.. add that to a little fatigue and not wanting to
leave my fiance's horse and it's like pulling a 1000 pound rock.  My fiance's
14.3 1000 pound stocky paint does trot outs better than her.. :)

Any tips and suggestions?  I want Isabella to trot out like Angie's horse!  A
little tail flagging and snorting wouldn't be objectionable at this point
either!

Julienne
& Isabella (who is barefoot, eek!  but we're stickin' to LDs for now and on
friendly footing.  I also wouldn't hesitate to shoe if I knew the ride was going
to be tougher than the terrain we condition on)