Re: RC: Bareback pad-unsafe with stirrups?

Part of the problem with stirrups on a bareback pad is that if the rider
becomes unbalanced and puts weight in one stirrup, rider and bareback pad are
going down as in under the horse.  And of course in that position, without
the support of a tree to somewhat stabilize your position, its possible for
the foot to get hung up in the stirrup.  I don't think a breast collar will
help in that situation, nor will having a high withered horse.  If you want
to ride bareback, you should be able to balance well enough to ride without
stirrups.  Otherwise you are probably going to be hard on your horse's back.
It's even possible to post bareback without stirrups.  My instructor MADE me.
 It takes strength and coordination.  There is a bareback pad that has a tree
of sorts, actually just the front part that goes over the withers, and it has
a handhold on top. That kind MIGHT be safer with stirrups.  jeri