Barefooting

I've been following these posts with some amazement, a sprinkling of amusement, and a fair amount of bemusement.

The question which remains uppermost in my mind is "why?"  I still haven't had a satisfactory answer to that question, and please understand, I'm remaining open-minded.

I've read what has been posted about Dr Strasser's reasoning, but it still doesn't answer the question why you would want to advocate barefoot for horses, and go to such lengths to achieve it (to the point where you actually willingly expose the horse to pain), when good shoeing would allow you to do what you are hoping to do barefoot.

I think I'd find it easier to understand if you didn't have to expose the horse to pain to achieve the desired result, but the thought of allowing my horse to experience discomfort is simply too alien to me.

I'm not judging....or at least I'm trying not to, but I need some clarification here.

Tracey