re: Bobbie's post re barefoot stats

Bobbie wrote>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

For those who have doubts  I have not shod in 6 years and why?
My horse has hoofs like steel Because of these factors:
genes, proper diet in fetal stage.  I am careful where I take
him just as thou he did have shoes on
I just brought him back from New Mexico 2 mos ago  I did not have
him trimed in 1-1/2 years because he was running on 70 acres and wore
them down/chipped naturally
I just this last week end had him trimmed because now he is confined
The farrier said that his feet were healthy and sound    I
do not intend to shoe him till I start endurance riding
Bobbie >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Bully for you.  I don't think you are going to find anyone on this
list telling you you have to shoe a horse for light riding or
even endurance training.  (*Some* of us do need to shoe if we want to
to do much riding becuase we want to ride on rocky mtns but our horses live
on soft sand or our horses dont have naturally tough feet, or whatever)

Most of us who believe that any horse needs hoof protection (doesnt have
to be shoes - they just work best for many of us) to compete in certain,
rides over rocky trails also believe its better not to shoe our horses until
they need the protection.  You cant compete endurance on a badly shod horse,
but going barefoot some months every year is a good antidote for good, but
less than perfect shoeing; and barefoot is better for most growing youngsters.

Peace,
Teresa

P.S. If the "Strasser fanatics" will stop trying to sell us the lie that
shoes are harmful to our horses feet, regardless of our farrier's skill,
and the fact that we don't leave the shoes on for 12 weeks to save money,
there really might be peace on the list in regards to the subject.