Re: RE: Darolyn and Barefootin' (extremely long)

> Looks to me like the shod horses in your referenced material from Dr.
> Strasser were shod very poorly or kept in stalls with minimal exercise
from
> an early age. (Don't European horses get a lot less turnout than most of
> ours?)

Deanna, this is VERY true.  My husband is from Denmark, and people there
thought he was utterly insane for <gasp> having 24/7 turnout for his horses,
with run-in sheds to get in out of the rain.  Their horses were pretty much
always stalled.  And interestingly enough, he took a crippled old hunter and
rehabbed him with turnout and GOOD SHOEING, and went on to set a lifetime
horse mileage record for Danish horses that may still stand.  (Granted, it
wasn't what some of our records are, but I think it is around 5000 km, which
is 3000 miles--not bad for a retired allegedly crippled hunter!)

Heidi