Old Mac's vs EZ Boots (To Deanna)

Karen Standefer hrschk@yahoo.com
REFERENCED POST:

Define "barefoot endurance site" please. How many are doing barefoot
endurance and for how many miles?

Deanna

Hi, Deanna.   As far as I know, there are 3 individuals currently
competing at 50's and 100's  and then Darolyn's crew (sometimes 13 or more
riders) competing at 50's and 100's.  There are 119 members on the list.
I don't know how many intend on competing next year.  I should be adding 3
horses at the 50 mile distance for next year, myself.........possibly only
2 at the beginning because one has a LOT of shoeing damage and may not be
ready.  I haven't really polled the site to see who plans on competing.
There are probably 15 or more that I know who have pulled shoes in the
last several months that probably won't be competing this next year
because their horses won't be ready.  Kurt is currently trimming about 13
endurance horses whose owners have commited to giving them the time they
need to heal with the goal to compete barefoot.  All in all, if I were
guessing, I believe there to be around 80 horses that could possibly be
competing in the next 2 years.  Probably 50 competing during 2002.  I'm
not including the LD or CTR horses, they are all 50 miles or better
horses.  I don't have a good feel for how many more are LD or CTR, sorry.
I'll compile the stats again, but currently the stats are really good with
about 80 or so completions for 2001 and probably about a 50% or better in
the top 10 with several BC awards sprinkeled in.  I believe there were 4
100 mile completions.

Tracey Ritter has commited to getting a website up and running where the
general public can view our accomplishments.  Hopefully, in the next few
months we'll have that up and running.

Karen

This is the invitation on our email list and describes what we're all
about:

Welcome to Barefoot Endurance Horses.   We are a group of endurance
riders, or wannabes who have committed to keeping our horses barefoot.
We, mostly, follow the Strasser methods of horse keeping and trimming.
We have joined together to share all sorts of information, fellowship and
fun.   We do not tollerate flaming and we don't care to hear your opinions
if they are negative towards barefootin'.   Otherwise, please join in!
We'd like you to introduce yourself when you join and tell us a bit about
your horses and the trim method you follow as well as your experiences (or
lack of) in endurance.