Re: RC: RE: Darolyn and Barefootin'

In a message dated 12/18/2001 9:45:51 AM Pacific Standard Time, guest@endurance.net writes:

Following behind my horse on a rocky ride in the Cascades one
would think he has eyes in his feet.  He looks like a rock climber
(finding the obvious places to put his hooves for maximum traction) when
traversing highly technical rock face trails.  He has always been good at
working in rocks, but the change to barefoot makes an uncanny difference
and I feel as if I'm riding a mountain goat.

What kind of endurance mileage have you got on this horse?  I think there's a big difference between riding a barefoot horse on rocks who is going slowly and picking his way through for maybe 20 or 25 miles and one who is going at a bit faster rate of speed for 50 or 100 miles.  I also don't think this debate will ever get settled -- the barefoot people are pretty set in their opinions.  I just think its hard to argue with what most of us actually SEE out on the trail with our endurance horses.  If any of you have ever heard of a horse who has competed a series of rocky 50s (say 3 of them) completely barefoot, without hoof protection, please have that rider post to the list.  The rides have to be ROCKY though -- like Silver State, or some such.

Sylvia (anybody want to see a copy of Barney's letter regarding barefoot -- again?)