Re: stallions

 I just had a very interesting experience on a stallion. While visiting relatives I had the chance to ride out to the herd looking for a horse. I was riding a stallion. I typically do not ride stallions (although I love to). So I'm riding this guy through the herd (over 100 horses) with interested ladies plopping themselves before him and demanding a response. I'm sure he would have liked to oblige them, but at no time was he anything less than responsive to my cues. I would not hesitate to ride this fellow at an endurance ride, it would have to be better than 10 mares in heat climbing all over him.

I think it all boils down to training, that of the stallion and the interested mares and intimidated geldings. The owner of this stallion is an excellent trainer and absolutely requires good behavior of all his boys. They are regularly ridden by children (who routinely ride in each other's space and don't know or care the first thing about keeping distance). By the way, they are Paso Finos (or whatever...) Dana

"Testosterone notwithstanding, it IS possible to teach creatures who have it
that there is a time and a place for everything,"

ddbpaso@yahoo.com