Re: RC: Re: Darolyn & Barefootin'

Question, not a flame.

Easy boots will put the horse's break over point as defined by the easy boot, pretty much independent of what the hoof or shoe looks like. Hence they will change the break over of the foot. Isn't that counter to what you are looking for as part of the "barefoot" trim? If you have to switch back and forth to easy boots doesn't that defeat the purpose of what you are trying to do?

Truman

Tara Wheeler wrote:

OH BOY...what a thing to look forward too!!!  A 25 miler after putting your horse through months of pain on rocks.  This is a dumb question, Why would you want to do this?  Because you don't want to use a horse shoe or hoof protection of any sort.

Here we go again.

No one's saying anything about months of pain on rocks.  You don't ride 'em till they're sore, you ride them a little at a time, building them up.  If they get sore, you back off.

Eventually they don't get sore no matter how far you ride them.

I'm sure the first time you wore 'grown up girls shoes' they didn't hurt your feet at all.

And I'm also sure all those mustangs out in Nevada are perfectly happy without shoes.

You do what you can, when you can.

My horses go barefoot most of the time.  When I ride somewhere rocky, I use easyboots.

Should I squall at other riders who's horse's shoes don't provide the sole and heel-bulb protection of my easyboots?

This is a forum to learn how other people do things.  You do whatever you think's best for your horse and I'll do the same for mine.

And Darolyn, anytime you want to ride on rocks, I'll be happy to meet you out at Lake Sommerville, it's halfway between Austin and Houston.