Re: baby blues

Hi,
I'm sure you have had a flood of replies about how so and so rode the day
after birth and they carried their baby in a pack and rode like the man from
snowy river. NOT SAFE. IMHO.
I'm the mother of 5 girls ranging in age from 8 years to 24. All 5 and horse
lovers and like my husband says" I brain washed them good." My oldest
daughter just had her first child about 18 months ago. So I really know what
you are saying . Tennielle (my daughter) asked me the same thing last
spring. I'll just tell you what I told her , I put them up on the saddle at
6 months! They would hold on to the horn and just cry when I tried to take
them off. But I waited until they were about 2 before the horse even moved
and I let go of them. Then I just lead them around the yard on a very well
broke horse. By the time they were all 4 they were riding with me on the
trails around home. On a very well broke bomb proof Arab mare who just past
away at the age of 30.  I never put them on the horse with me or any one
else. What if the horse spooked and we fell off, I might of landed on them?
What if we got dragged?
I would never in my wildest dreams put my baby on a horse in a back pack or
any thing like that. I know of many women who did and do. But I my self
wouldn't. Nor did I would I ride before birth. Horses are  way to
unpredictable, even bomb proof ones. And if any thing should  of happened, I
just wondered how much fun riding would  be then?
Not that long ago there was a thread on RC about a 3 year old who had done a
LD. I was one person who was flamed to crisp because I said that a baby has
no reason to be riding an LD. But I saw nothing wrong with a 4 or 5 year old
riding on a  dead broke horse at home around horses and trails, both the
child and horse knew well.
All I'm saying is take your time. Most likely your little girl will grow up
brain washed like mine. And riding will be a bond between you and her. No
need to hurry it. When my kids were little I looked forward to going riding
alone. With 5 kids it was the only peace I had. When Tennielle turned 4 and
we got a pony it was even better.  We talked about boys, school you name it.
They all tell me it was the best time to ride alone with Mom. My 8 year old
just has a fit if I even think of riding with out her.
So take your time. Wait until she asks to ride. Then you know it's what she
wants and your brain washing worked<g>. Keep your eyes open for a well broke
older Arab and just by your time about her riding. Good things come to those
who wait. And you have life time to ride with her.
Tami ( speak your mind and ride a fast horse)