standarbreds in endurance

Hi from the cold midwest!!!!

Just had to reply to the standardbred question.  The breed is
wonderful as far as personality.  I purchased a near perfect in
conformation standardbred mare.  She had the sweetest
personality and would do anything I asked.  I was excited about
her as here in the midwest there had been a standardbred that
had competed in competitive riding and was champion 3-5 years in
a row.  The gelding was awesome and had great P/R's.  Well, my
girl was great going down the trail, sane ...however agaility
was lacking.  She had speed when you clicked her into high
gear....it was fun to ride and she trotted not paced and wasn't
all that hard to ride on flatter terrain or gently rolling
hills.

Now, the down side.....Winnie was a large mare and steep hills
were extremely hard ...I don't know if they were hard for her
but, her whole body moved going down hill and I got getting
whipped around quite roughly.  Uphill wasn't so bad but, she had
to work.  The other problem I had was ...if the weather wasn't
60 and raining it was very stressful for her to be out on the
trail longer than 2 hours;  even with vet checks.  Several times
Winnie experienced colic like symptoms after a ride....I would
have her treated but, several times the vets kept saying, "let's
just wait alittle as she has gut sounds."  It was very apparent
that she was uncomfortable......about 2 hours later she'd be
fine.  I treated her for ulcers.  I talked to several trainers
int he area that race the breed....the comment was, "Oh everyone
knows that you need to give a standardbred a maloxx/ maple syrup
dose before, after and during an event."  Now, I started really
wondering about the breed.  As much as I loved Winnie, I neede
to move her along and with the help of a vet friend found the
perfect home for her where they just trail ride her and love
her.......Would I try another one????  I would really have to
think on that one.  After talking to other trainers of the breed
and kowing that at ages 2-3 they are already injecting with
Legend and stomach problems aren't uncommon....well, I wouldn't
take one from race training again.

June