Schooling, conditioning, etc...

I have been following this thread with interest and have been glad to
see it veryifies some of my own opinions about getting a horse
ready - that is it takes time and many slow rides.

I do have a question though about starting distances - not for weekly
conditioning - but in first year's worth of rides keeping in mind the
overall goal of building a sound, middle of the pack, accumulate-
mileage, endurance horse.

My question is if you feel the horse is ready at the cardio level for a
slow, easy 50 early (by this I mean in his first year of endurance -
not early as in necessarily 5 years old) in his career, are you doing
him any favors by doing a 25 (or any lesser distance) instead for
some early rides - again at a reasonable pace? Does that do
more/less for adding to his overall conditioning than taking the same
horse and safely bringing him through a slow 50(s)? The end goal
for this hypothetical horse is moderate 50's and 100s for the long
term.

I guess the same question could apply on up the scale between
100s/50s though there aren't too many folks around that start their
horses out on 100s.

Tina