Re: RC: arena conditioning/Building strength/flexibility

In a message dated 1/29/01 7:10:57 PM Mountain Standard Time,
qhjanet@hotmail.com writes:

I'd much rather condition using an arena and get
some competition in, than not have the option of competing at all.

   That is a very good point, with which I agree.
   I believe that arena work, EFFECTIVE ARENA WORK, is essential in helping
the trail create an efficient endurance mount.
   Not to go too deeply into it, but some of the things which can
"translate" into an efficient endurance mount would be:
            1.  Serpentine work in sitting trot to strengthen the loin
resulting in an increase in flexibility which aids in preventing injury on
the trail as well as "connecting" the locomotion longitudinally.  An added
benefit would be instilling a sense of "rhythm and tempo", translating in
allowing the horse to learn about rating himself.
            2.  Low gymnastic work to strengthen the stomach muscles and
stifle, enabling the horse to work towards the effortless tightening and
lifting of its stomach muscles, again fostering the back to front connection.
            3.  Riding a large figure eight in rising trot while quietly
changing diagonals will build bi-lateral strength and flexibility enabling
the horse to learn to depend on both sides of his body instead of continually
   "Augmenting" good, effective trail conditioning with periodic arena work
can be extremely effective, provided it is administered fairly with the goal
of strengthening and not drilling the horse without proper rest periods.
   The flexibility engendered by similar regimens translates into real
strength.
   JMHO,
      Frank.