Re: RC: promoting hoof growth and hardening hooves

hi amanda,  Biotin is about the only thing I know for sure will promote hoof
growth.  It should also have zinc and methionine, which your formula does.
I'm a little uncertain how 250mcg equates to mg.  I think 2.5 mg?  This seems
awful low, as the formula I feed has 15 mg per ounce.  It's also important to
realize that the amounts of nutrients listed on the label are based on
feeding a certain amount of the supplement.  Is 1 oz the recommended amount?
Benefits of adding biotin will not be seen for up to a year, as it takes that
long for hoof to greow out from the coronary band.

Another thing to consider is that its WINTER!  and horses' feet don't grow as
fast in the winter.  If you are riding a lot, you may be keeping his feet
worn off.  It doesn't sound as if they are all that short, you may want to
look at some of the barefoot sites that have been mentioned in the past month
or two, look for Darolyn Butler's posts in the Archives.  Some sites have
pictures.  Not sure I am totally for the "natural" and "barefoot" stuff
myself, but there is a lot of good to be said for paying VERY close attention
to your horses' feet, and working closely with the best farrier you can find.
  jeri