Fw: RE: re: Conditioning Tips/Schedules for The Full Time Worker

> crossing the finish line as you did heading out the gate that morning.>>>>

> It is my firm belief that if you take this attitude you will never develop
> good endurance horse. Stress is what builds. Over stress is what breaks
Bob Morris

Physically, Bob is very correct.   OTOH young/beginner horses  can get very
discouraged mentally  if they are always asked for a maximum effort.  Hard
days need to be tempered with some easy work.  Otherwise horse may begin to
think,  "I gave it everything I had and it is never enough, every ride is so
hard".   Some horses will quit trying.  If some rides end with the horse
feeling great horse  thinks  "that wasn't too hard, I can do that"  and next
time goes out willing to try anything you ask.       Seasoned horses have
learned sometimes it's easy, sometimes tough, they forgive you the hard
ones.

> I think it is ok to 'compete' (I use the term loosely) with minimal
> conditioning as long as you are *very* aware of where your horse is in
> regards to fitness and stick to doing rides he has a chance of finishing
> sound and healthy.  >
> If he can do that *easily*, still fresh when you get back, he should be
able
> to do a 4-5hr 25 over moderate terrain once a month.
> > The danger is that he might feel *REALLY* good for those first 5-10
miles
> because that has become routine to him, but don't overestimate he knows
how
> far you are going.  It is your job to make sure you have as much horse
> crossing the finish line as you did heading out the gate that morning.

This is such a great bit of advice, a horse's early rides should all end
this way.

Dot