SLEIGH RALLY ACCIDENT

I don't have time to individually reply so many
of my Ridecamp friends, so please forgive
for posting this report I wrote to the Carriage
Driving List.

As some of you know, my spectator wife, Betty,
was seriously injured at a local sleigh rally
yesterday.  A group of us were lined up side-by-
side across the center of the ring in the Currier
and Ives Class, taking turns trotting around the
perimeter.

"Lobke" a 15 YO mare owned by Jane Pincus  (who was
heading her) and driven by Sarah Isham got nervous
and stepped sideways.  The sleigh overturned
and dumped Sarah out.  The horse fell over but
jumped back up then bolted toward the spectators
dragging the overturned sleigh.

Fortunately Betty was the only one injured.
Unfortunately, it has taken me three years to
get her to a horse event and she seemed to
be enjoying the rallies.  Although in a great
deal of pain she said it was glad it happened
to her and not the children near her.

She has five broken ribs and a punctured lung
that we know of so she will be laid up for some
time.  Does anybody want to come and keep
house for me for a couple of months <g>?

Everyone was wonderful in helping my non-
horsy daughter and husband unharness
and load Meshack of the trip home. They
all said Meshack was a perfect gentleman.

I have a new thirteen year old neighbor
named Samantha who loves horses and
came to the house a few weeks ago and
asked to pet Meshack and give him a
treat.  She visits him regularly and he likes
her.  We invited her to the rally so she was
here to unload him and put him back in his
paddock.

I am truly thankful to all who helped and we
thank you for your prayers.

I called Jim O'Reilly who hosted the rally at
the Wildflower Inn to give him a report on
Betty, and urged him not to let this put a
damper on future rallies.  We hope to
participate in one there next year.

John and Meshack