Re: RC: Re: Re: A Feed Question

>Are you saying the Omolene 100 doesn't provide him >with enough protein
>when he is competing? Is the other stuff plus the >Omolene 100 providing
>him with the minimum 10 per cent he needs? Now you >got me worried...

>How does the Alfafa play in this?
Your protein is plenty sufficient.  The example I was using before was if your grass/forage supply was something really poor, like straw.  The forage you describe is a great source of pretty much everything Sunny needs, even without the additional alfalfa.  Adding alfalfa on top of that provides even more.  So a few pounds of Omolene might not provide enough protein if your forage was straw.  But since your forage is good quality, the protein content in the Omolene becomes relatively unimportant.

2. Sunny is "off" during the winter...doesn't compete.  We do a little
"maintain" riding a couple of times a week (4-5 hours of LSD), since
he's basically lazy. Should a lower protein feed be fed during this time
than when competing?

No, he's fine.  A bit of extra protein doesn't do any harm at all, and it helps them maintain body heat when it gets cold.  I pay more attention to protein while they are competing, because too much protein contributes to some potential metabolic problems, plus is a hindrance in very hot weather.  But during the maintenance/off season, no worries.

3. I usually do my first ride in late March, ramping up his conditioning
starting in late Febuary.  If the answer to (2.) above is "yes", how
early should I switch to a higher protein feed?

Don't.  You're fine.  :-)  If anything, I prefer horses get a little more protein during the off/cold season, and then less protein during competition.

Does that help?

Susan G

Jim, Sun of Dimanche, and Mahada Magic