Re: RC: Re: Re: A Feed Question

Informative post, Susan! Hmmm...but I think the question, in which I am
also interested....got lost in detail. I'm a little confused.  Suppose I
restate it as an example:

1. Sunny is out on pasture (mostly fescue, some broome, some of three
types of clover, some coastal) 24/7. (This is LUSH late March thru late
September) In the winter, all that's out there is the fescue. He gets
free choice of Timothy, Coastal Bermuda, and a pat of Alfafa once,
sometimes twice a day, free choice block and loose salt, plain and
mineral.  I normally feed a coffee can of Omolene 100 and a coffee can
of (dry) beet pulp (plus his supplements) twice a day. Starting on
Thursday prior to a Saturday ride, I give a LITTLE more feed (same
ratio) using heavily soaked beet pulp instead of dry in many small
meals.  I also give him "chopped Timothy forage" during this time to get
some hay in his gut, since grass is normally not available at a ride.
He won't touch anything but Alfafa as long as there's grass available.
This has REALLY helped with gut sounds....always got B's till I started
doing this last year. He's an easy keeper and his weight is good (nice
fat layer), coat shiny, and doesn't grow heel as usual. <grin>

Are you saying the Omolene 100 doesn't provide him with enough protein
when he is competing? Is the other stuff plus the Omolene 100 providing
him with the minimum 10 per cent he needs? Now you got me worried...

How does the Alfafa play in this?

2. Sunny is "off" during the winter...doesn't compete.  We do a little
"maintain" riding a couple of times a week (4-5 hours of LSD), since
he's basically lazy. Should a lower protein feed be fed during this time
than when competing?

3. I usually do my first ride in late March, ramping up his conditioning
starting in late Febuary.  If the answer to (2.) above is "yes", how
early should I switch to a higher protein feed?

Jim, Sun of Dimanche, and Mahada Magic