From: Karen Snodgrass
To: ridecamp@endurance.net
Sent: Friday, December 07, 2001 7:52 AM
Subject: RC: A feed question

Hi All,

I have a feed question and thought that someone here might have some helpful advice.

The barn where I board my mare has had their sweet feed custom mixed for the last 6+years (since I got my mare).  I am told the protein level of this sweet feed is 14%.   Now, with the economy as it is, the local mills are starting to charge more for this mix and the barn owners are switching to a different sweet feed, still a custom mix, but one that other stables in the area are using (the old power in numbers thing).  Anyway the new feed has a protein level of 10%.  How will this protein change affect my mare?  We completed 355 miles this year, mostly 2 day 50 mile CTR's, but we did do 2 slow 50 mile endurance rides as well.  She kept her weight up and bounced back from all of the rides well.

If everything she is being fed is kept the same, except for the protein levels, is there anything to watch for that would tell me we need to supplement?  And if so, what would we supplement with.

thanks for your help - back to lurking

Karen