Re: Why WOOL? Pads (Long)

Ros Oates aussienduro@hotmail.com Writes:

>Lysane,

>     Would YOU run a  MARATHON DRESSED in PLASTIC?
>                                 Should your HORSE?
>....WOOL is able to ABSORB 30% of it own WEIGHT in MOISTURE and still be
>completely dry to touch.
>....WOOL will ABSORB SWEAT from your horses body, opening pores and
>allowing SKIN to BREATHE and DISPERSE HEAT.
>....WOOL is NATURALLY DURABLE, being made from millions of minute coiled
>fibres that stretch and give rather than break.
>....WOOL fibres WON'T BURN TOGETHER after repeated washing and drying as
>synthetic fibres do.
>....Our WOOL PRODUCTS are made from 'SUPER WASH WOOL'  and can be MACHINE
>WASHED and TUMBLE DRIED.....they wont go hard after washing or shrink.
>Hope this answers some questions on WOOL for you.
>We all know what its like wearing synthetic fabrics when we are heated up,
>our horses feel the same way. Wool BREATHES..........
>Regards Ros

Well folks...Ros makes a few points there.  And they're not too bad, either.
  As far as they go....

Now the following are just my own observations; based on about ten years
experience with a particular product, and a few more years than that spent
fooling around with horses.  (Which, by the way has not been wasted time --
well...at least some of it--HA!)

Here's what I think...   I think that if your saddle fits properly, you
don't even NEED a saddle pad.  BUT...if it doesn't, (and very few do) then
there's a whole wide range of saddle pads to pick and choose from to help
Pony out.  But ya gotta remember...THERE IS NO WAY THAT A SADDLE PAD OF ANY
KIND WILL FIX A SADDLE THAT'S A BAD FIT. Ever.      So...we just kinda all
do the best we can with what we've got.

Before we even go looking at saddle pads, what's the biggest problem the
saddle poses for Pony?   PRESSURE!  FRICTION!  HEAT!!    Look here...every
saddle moves a tad on Pony's back; it moves front to back, side to side, and
up and down.  And Pony, being a warm-blooded mammal, generates internal heat
all by himself, not to mention the movement of his muscles and skin against
whatever's strapped onto him.  So what do we have here?
We gots HEAT...generated by the PRESSURE and FRICTION of the saddle
movements, and by our little (OK, BIG) generator himelf.   Where does the
heat go?  Well...heat rises, right?  Where do you THINK it goes?  It goes
UP!  Right into your saddle or your saddle pad.

Let's go a bit farther...Pony SWEATS, right?  Why?  To COOL his body!
Where's the largest area he's got to dissipate that heat through sweating?
Yup.  His BACK!   So what do WE do?  We put a SADDLE on his back.
Ooooo...really good, right?  So now we've got Pony hot and sweating, the
saddle heating him up and a saddle pad just sucking up all that hot sweat
and KEEPING IT IN THERE  doing nothing but getting hotter.  We are not
helping, here.

Aaaaagh!  DANGER, Will Robinson!!

Geeze Louise...whadda we do NOW???

Hold on, there...let's think about this!  All is not lost.  What's Pony's
natural mechanism for heat reduction?   Uhhh...his SWEAT, right?  Yup,
absolutely.  The purpose of sweat is to absorb the heat, get it out of the
body through the pores, and into the AIR, where the sweat will evaporate,
causing evaporative cooling and thus reducing Pony's body temperature, both
skin and core.

But we can't DO that!  We got a saddle and a saddle pad strapped onto him!
And we're SITTING on it!!!   And our saddle pad is squished down and there's
no place for the sweat to go!  And the fungus, and the bacteria!!  They GROW
in there!!   And we tried synthetics, and we tried cotton, and we tried
wool, and we tried fleece and we STILL got the problem!!!!  They SQUISH!
And they get dirty, and yucky, and hard, and stuff sticks to 'em!   And
THEN...we gotta CLEAN 'em!!!    Woe, woe, woe is me!!!

My friends...there IS an answer.  (Y'all KNEW it was coming didn't ya?)

There exists --right now-- a device which lets Pony's sweat be REMOVED out
from under the saddle and/or WHATEVER saddle pad you choose to ride.   This
thing has thousands and thousands of little loops in it.  Pony's sweat goes
right on THROUGH those loops and runs down his side.  Taking the HEAT with
it!!  How about THAT?!?!  And it puts fresh air under him as well!
Constantly!   Pony's sweat can NOT get up into your saddle pad, or onto your
saddle.  And...Pony sweats naturally -- just like he's supposed to.

It's SOFT.  It's flexible, conforms to ANY conformation.  It won't squish.
It won't get lumps. It's thin -- only a 1/4 of an inch thick. It's light --
weighs about 2 lbs.  It can't unravel.  It's anti-bacterial, anti-fungal,
anti-microbial -- nothing grows on it, and it doesn't leach .  Every so
often ya might have to clean it -- just hose it off --that's it -- all
clean.

This thing is Guaranteed to keep your horse's back cooler and your
saddle/saddle pad clean and dry, no matter how hard you ride, for as long as
you own it.  Or your money back.  And it's inexpensive, too!

Whoa-HO, now!!!  What IS this thing??  Does it really work?  Where ....

THIS, my friends, is the Genuine Original Dixie Midnight No-Sweat vent pad.
Yes.  It really works.  Wanna see?  Go to the Ridecamp Archives and, in the
"Search" thingy, type in Dixie Midnight or No-Sweat,  and see what comes up.
  'Nuff said about that.

Wanna see one?  Go here -- http://www.dixiemidnight.nv.switchboard.com

Wanna know more?  OK.  Go ahead and CALL me!  It's Toll-Free in the USA!
1-888-287-6716
International?  Sure..  +813.737.5506   That's NOT toll-free, though.

Or...you can e-mail to  dixiemidnight@hotmail.com

There.  Don't ya just feel a whole lot better?  There really IS an answer.
And it works.

Thanks for listening.

Karl
Dixie Midnight