Re: RC: Twist & SS saddles

> Karla Watson wrote:
>
> The RP saddles look great and sound great but I don't think I can
> afford them right now.

That was my thinking... If only we were rich, huh? I may still
have to somehow scrape together the money, though, seeing as my
greenie mare is wide-barrelled and has a v. forward heart girth,
causing the saddle to go straight up her neck - a crupper definitely
needed for downhill stuff. I'm sad about the prospect, because I
love my SS.

> My second choice is the Bob Marshall sport
> saddle. I heard they feel like a wider twist though. Any comments?
> I come from a close contact background but am also a HUGE fan of riding
> bareback with a pad so maybe these saddles would feel good to me?

Karla, I grew up on English saddles and always liked a narrow twist
to my saddle (I'm 5'2"/125 lbs), but also never rode anything like
the terrain around here while growing up, so opted for the security
of the deep seat of the SS. I've been riding in mine for the last
3-4 years, including 200 miles worth of 50s on my gelding, and
starting my greenie.

If you like bareback, you'll probably really like the SS.

The SS does feel like a wide twist - but because it is so
comfy, it doesn't end up making you butt-sore.

After buying an endurance model, I later switched to the
Schooling and Training (S&T) one (OK, so I stole my husbands
and had to order my own when he demanded it back).

Compared to the endurance model, the S&T comes with a higher
cantle and pommel, so when you get pooped out at an endurance
ride and the horse makes an unexpected manoeuver, you are less
likely to fall out of it.

The S&T is also cut longer down the sides of the horse, dropping
the position of the stirrup and cinch rings. Because that bulk
is lower, it helps make the saddle feel a little narrower (IMO,
anyway). This was a definite plus for me and my short legs.

Unfortunately, it also makes your stirrups shorter and gives
you almost no swing, which can be disconcerting if you're used to
that... or the reverse - when I recently rode in an english saddle
again (for the first time in 4 years?), I was quite alarmed *how
much* my legs could swing <g>.

I have not experienced the hip problems some people suffered,
athough I did end up with knee problems (had to have torn
meniscus knee surgery  - "Doctor, it only hurts when I trot
for 50 miles..." <grin>). I have no idea if the knee problems
were SS related, or just due to lack of conditioning on my
part (the horse always finished looking great... I didn't) -
I suspect the latter the more likely cause.

One thing that may help the wide (or lack of) twist, is to
make some sort of "twist pad" to go under you on top of
the saddle. Apparently some people were able to do this -
making something out of felt, but I haven't seen it. T'would
be good, though.

The S&T model runs $100 cheaper than the endurance model and
even if you get the saddle and decide it doesn't work for you,
the resale on them is very good (people don't want to wait
for an ordered one).

Hope this helps some.

--
Lucy Chaplin Trumbull - elsie@foothill.net
Repotted english person in Garden Valley (Sierra Foothills), CA