Bad truck /camper blues

Hi Ridecampers; Just a little grumbling here, as I am stuck again due to my crappy Ford F350 truck, 90 something model. Everytime I go out riding it acts up, and on big trips it breaks down.  (Why not a new one? Its a money thing) This time thank God, it broke down after I went on a trail ride, and I got home, unloaded, and couldn't re-start it to move the truck. No it wasn't the starter (changed that) nor the  new alternator, the batteries (we are on the third), nor the new engine, or the new trans.  This time it was something in the steering column. Curt jump started it and parked it in the correct spot, but then it really broke, and  couldn't get it out of park. Dealer estimate on repair--$260, plus towing.  Auto shop estimate on repair..$60 plus towing. Curt took it apart and there was a broken part, he took down to the parts place.    "that'd be one E9TZ-3E715-B Actuator, $15", the parts man announced. He has memorized the part number!!! Why? Because its such a "Piece of crap, used to be made of brass, but now it's pot metal and they break all the time".   If you have a Ford, you may as well go buy one now, because it's coming your way! Except you have to tear apart the whole steering column to fix the damn thing.
We gotta fix it quick too, so I can go buy some decent hay and the local feed store can stop reaming me.  Meanwhile , our electrician/friend is getting a Chevy Duramax Diesel.  Nanner nanner nanner.  Sheez, everyone parading their fancy shmancy new trucks around.
   About the camper thing.  We have a Lance, and it works out fine for us, but we have to put it on the crappy truck and hope not to break down.  Now, I am thinking, what if I got a horse trailer with a living quarters...that would be good except in the summer if the family goes on a trip to ...say...Yosemite, or Yellowstone or something.  Then what do we do for camping, minus the horses? Does anyone out there haul their horse-trailer on camping trips if there are no horses envolved? I suppose you could, its a lot to haul though.  For next summer we are thinking of a road trip up the Pacific coast, just for camping, and taking the Explorer (which I also hate, that stinking lousy thing...) and towing a little trailer. I wish I could get my hands on a "teardrop".   It's all still in the air though.
    happy trails, Beth Glover