Re: slide in camper

After tent camping for 8 years we started looking at goosenecks with LQ's. The problem for us was that in order to sleep 5 people, we had to have something "custom made" or go with the really long LQ trailer. (If you don't buy what comes off the assembly line, it is custom made) I didn't want a 40 foot trailer nor did I want to pay $40,000 for it.

Then we started looking at Lance campers. Brand new they were also $40K for what we needed. Whew! That is a lot of hay money.

I found a used Lance in the RV Trader. It is a 1993 but in mint condition. Can sleep 5, has a shower and toilet and is warm and dry. We did have to pay extra for the generator, the electric jacks, and the air shocks but it was still a heck of a lot cheaper than everything else we were considering. I pull a 3 horse Featherlite with a Dodge Dually, 4x4, diesel. The air shocks made a big difference.

As for the vet checks, I usually pick rides where the vets are all at base camp. Especially when my daughter rides. That way if she gets tired, I don't have to quit, or worry about trailering her horse back to base camp. I think here in the SE more RM's are putting the vet checks at base camp. It is easier for everyone logistically.

I agree it would make me feel more secure to have a gooseneck towing wise, but cold, wet, tent campers ain't gonna be choosey:)! I will do, ride, pull, sleep in what ever it takes to get me to the rides. We do sleep very cozy now! Lisa Salas, The Odd FArm