Re: RC: Mandatory hold times

My preference would be to use vet check & finishing criteria to allow vets
to get unfit horses out of the ride. (Rather than using longer holds to keep
them in camp.) Let riders use their alotted to time to pace their horses as
they see fit. It's not necessarily unfit horses that are at the back of the
pack. If your goal is accumulating mileage year after year you just have to
go slow.
I realize the emphasis is on protecting the horses running up front. If
endurance is going to continue to be accepting of other goals the ride can't
be slanted entirely toward everybody finishing as fast as the first few
horses possibly can.
It can also be hard to adjust times differently for rides depending on
"difficulty", because anything a horse isn't used to is going to be more
difficult for it.
As a side note, I think I remember hearing that the present system was set
up to prevent someone from organizing wacko rides. Like, ride 25 miles, have
a 12 hour "hold" then riding the other 25 miles & calling it a 50 mile ride.

Nancy Mitts