RC: Re: Hold times at endurance rides?

Because the hold times are the same for all riders at the
ride on the same day, the "playing field" *IS* level for all
riders.  The hold times are determined by the vet and the
ride manager for the ride in question.  I can see where
different rides would want different hold times based on
the widely differing terrain, humidity, temperature, and
other factors between rides across the country.

Early in my Ridecamp days, hold times were explained to me
by... um, Joe Long? , Bob Morris? , well, some guy with a lot
of AERC experience... because I too could not see the point
in including them in the total time allotted.  After all, I was
competing on a retired old ex-race horse at the back of
the pack and I was very concerned then about completeing
within the time allotted.  This turned out to be a non-issue
for Magnum, or maybe a better thing to say is because of
our inexperience in endurance and with the trails we were
riding, he and I needed those hold times more than we needed
more time on the trail.

Funny thing, the only time I came in really close to cutoff
was on Blue's LD ride.

It's very simple:  If your horse does a 50 mile ride in 7:09
"ride time" with 1:45 manditory hold time then your horse
did 50 miles in 8:54.  During that hour and 45 minutes, your
horse is resting and eating and being checked by you and
your crew and the vets.  That time has everything to do with
whether or not your horse completes the ride that day.

ie:  Hold Times DO "count" (read, make a difference)

I think there has been plenty of thought put into hold times
and how they factor into total ride time.  I think the system
works and is fair as it stands.

Kathy Myers
in Santa Fe, NM
AERC# 14992