Re: pads for rocky rides

What would anyone recommend for a person working with a farrier who doesn't
use pads often? Where/how does one obtain the materials mentioned below?
what's a pour-in pad?

After observing a few rides where padded horses were more successful (fewer
pulls, less lameness, clearly happier horses), I have decided to pad when I
do those rides in the future. I discussed this with my farrier. On horses he
has padded in the past, he has used good ol' pine tar under a leather pad.
Are there any draw backs to pine tar?

Also, what do you do when you have rocks AND slippery mud/pavement/wooden
bridges? Do you and then put borium on the shoe as well?

What do you do after you come home from the ride and don't want the pads for
your home turf? Call the farrier out to reset the shoes without pads?

Deanna