North? South?

In a message dated 11/6/2001 10:31:20 AM Central Standard Time, Carla writes:

However we can't figure out why those yanks keep
coming????and staying? and complain about being here? how backwards we
are. etc. etc. etc.

I just spent 3 weeks in Tennessee.  In some ways, you rebs
(although TN's secession from the Union was highly suspect)
*are* backwards.

I gave my mare choke on Thanksgiving evening.  I knew instantly
what it was.  I couldn't get hold of a single equine vet who would
make a house call.  Even the vet recommended to me most frequently
had a message on his machine telling his clients to take their animals
to some clinic somewhere, he was closed for Thanksgiving.  This
is unheard of in Massachusetts.  Equine vets *always* have somebody
on call 24 hours even during holidays.  Sure, it'll be the junior partner,
but you can get *somebody* to help your horse.

On the other hand, the UT Equine Vet clinic in Knoxville (where we
ended up) was splendid.  I got to see my mare's esophagus and stomach
and the all the people, from undergrad to vet student to newly
accredited covering vet to veterinary surgeon to front desk
clerk were wonderful.  Turns out the covering vet was from Tufts
in Massachusetts and knew my regular vets.  She agreed
wholeheartedly with my dismay.  She plans on staying
in Tennessee near her Memphis home and to make her practise
based on the same level of care people take for granted in
Massachusetts.

Oh, the result on the mare?  Veterinary surgeon, "What we have
here is a therapeutic trailer ride."

"Two chickens went up Rocky Top
 Looking for a place to hide.
 Colonel Sanders must have found them,