Re: Barefoot

It just tickles me that some folks have this sense of absolutism;
that they feel they can declare which rides are "impossible" to do
barefoot.  Impossible to whom? And why? Yet, we have fellow endurance
riders like Robyn Levash (sp?) who have just completed the Sunland 50
(not just a dinky LD ride) and another 50 the weekend after that
barefoot with her horse in excellent condition.  Luck?!
Coincidence?! An anomaly unlikely to be duplicated?  I think not.

This gal has put in an amazing amount of time and miles conditioning
her horse to handle this type of terrain in top form, and I think
it's high time that the endurance community recognize these
accomplishments for what they are.  Give credit where credit is due,
and for Heaven's sake, let's stop trying to pretend that *anyone* has
the divine knowledge to give these edicts so freely as to what is or
isn't impossible... after all, no one will ever be able to prove what
can be done unless they are given that opportunity.  Naturally, it
helps that they can demonstrate to the very well-meaning RMs (who
undoubtedly are very experienced with the particular terrain their
ride covers) that their training and conditioning has been of the
nature that they can handle such terrain without putting their horse
at unnecessary risk, but without some flexibility here, we're going
to remain in the Dark Ages unless we remove our hands from over our
eyes and take each success for what it is.  Look at the horse,
evaluate his condition, evaluate his training methods, and then
perhaps feel that you can come to an honest conclusion, but only
AFTER doing so - it's only fair, right? If we're going to debate this
intelligently, it seems like the best way to approach this.

Please, let's not take what I'm saying and turn it into a "To Shoe or
Not to Shoe" debate - that's not what I'm talking about.  Only about
having a little flexibility so that those who do condition properly
can have the opportunity to demonstrate firsthand to the endurance
community just exactly what is or isn't possible, with or without
shoes.

Kindest Regards,

Tracey Ritter
Portland, OR  (soon to be Camas, WA)
--
Deja MOO:  That feeling you get when you think you've heard this bull
before!