Re: Riders behaving badly.. at p&r

Heaven forbid any rider comes into a P&R check with an attitude;) I was at a ride once where in the beginning, this lady fell off her horse several times (not exaggerating!) and blocked the trails so no one would pass. I finally told her to get out of the way, go home, and take some $%(&@#$ lessons! That is how the ride started and set my mood for the duration. When I came into the vet check, I did not want to hear, "I can't find a pulse. Does anybody have a watch with a second hand?". I may have been a tad rude at that point.

I know the volunteers are there,  well voluntarily. They want to help. However, for the LD rides who are counting on the timer after a pulse to give them their placing, hearing a pulse taker say they can't find the HR, don't have a watch, or take the HR and walk away without calling for your time, it can be very frustrating. I came in first on ride (LD) and there was only one pulse taker. The person who came in behind me got their horse's pulse taken first so they got first place, I got second.

Now before any of you give me any crap about it only being a LD ride, not a race, I say, don't. The point is when there are placings, it is a competition and the riders are relying on the pulse takers to know what is going on. In the longer distances, the best way to beat the competition is to have a horse that pulses down quicker than the others. Then you go out ahead of the others. But, if you come into a vet check and get a pulse taker who doesn't know how to take a pulse or knows more than the vet and wants to argue with you and take up time, it can make a rider a bit snippy at best. Especially on the longer rides!

Just imagine, your sugar level is dropping, happy hour is upon you and your not done yet. You still have 30 miles to go, the temperature hasn't dropped below 85 degrees all day and you stank! You know you have that look on your face that says "I feel like slapping somebody and you are first in line!". Why would anybody at the P&R think you are a bit rude???

Fortunately, I don't think this happens too often. If it does and you happen to blow off at a volunteer, you can always say you are sorry. And you should. I am sure they would understand.

I tell the riders at our ride meeting for Green Swamp Stomp, if you have a problem, come to me and me only. DO NOT argue with the volunteers, the vets or anyone else, except your own pit crew and or spouse. That is what your pit crew and spouse are there for.

My trainer, head pit crew person Wendy, has the shirt that says
C.an't R.ememberE.verythingW.oman (CREW). She wants want that says
CAN'T REMEMBER EVERYTHING, BITCH!  What does that tell ya?

For all the volunteers who read RC (SE DIVISION) that I may have been rude to, I apologize. I could have been uglier, just ask my pit crew and spouse!!
Lisa Salas, The Odd FArm