Fwd: RC: Re: Silver State 2001 or any ride for that matter

In a message dated 11/27/01 8:30:15 AM Pacific Standard Time, jsalas@tampabay.rr.com writes:

The last ride we were at a lady was asking me if I thought her horses' back was sore. With just a very light palpation, it wasn't just sore, it was very sore and had been for some time. She asked my if I thought she should ride? Why oh why would she have to ask?? I could tell I wasn't giving her the answer she needed to I told her to go through the vet check and see what the vet said. She didn't ride so I guess the vet concluded the same thing.

We have all seen new riders and experienced riders do some questionable things. At the Silver State ride, it wasn't the fact that the horse was not shod that was a crime. It was the fact (I am guessing it is fact) that the rider was oblivious to the horse's condition. It is not cause for burning someone at the stake for having a sore back on their horse, but to continue riding when you know it is sore is good for at least one lash with the bull whip.

eek! Wow. I guess I need to pat my 14 year old daughter on the back a little more - she felt that her horse was just not right half way through a 50 miler 2 weeks ago - slight back....something....not sure - but to be SAFE, she pulled voluntarily. She hated to do so - but in her heart she knew it was best for the horse. Now, if a 14 year old can understand this concept, I personally can't excuse an adult claiming ignorance. Nope.

---- Begin included message ----
I don't know the story, wasn't there. Some people in this horse world just don't have a clue and it is not for lack of trying. Yet, when they do ask for advice, not that anybody has all the answers ,whatever you tell them goes right over their heads!

The last ride we were at a lady was asking me if I thought her horses' back was sore. With just a very light palpation, it wasn't just sore, it was very sore and had been for some time. She asked my if I thought she should ride? Why oh why would she have to ask?? I could tell I wasn't giving her the answer she needed to I told her to go through the vet check and see what the vet said. She didn't ride so I guess the vet concluded the same thing.

We have all seen new riders and experienced riders do some questionable things. At the Silver State ride, it wasn't the fact that the horse was not shod that was a crime. It was the fact (I am guessing it is fact) that the rider was oblivious to the horse's condition. It is not cause for burning someone at the stake for having a sore back on their horse, but to continue riding when you know it is sore is good for at least one lash with the bull whip.    Ooooo, hurt me baby, make me write bad checks!

Anyway, we have all done some dumb things to our horses and thank God, they still tolerate us.  That is the key word here fellow ride campers, TOLERANCE.  Is this not what our horses keep trying, in vain sometimes, to teach us?

On a lighter note, at the last ride we went to my boy Lance was upset because he had to vet out without his buddy. Lance is an Arab/Andalusian and real big. Big (but pretty) head, big butt, big legs and feet. BIG! So he was dancing around and I overheard one of the timers say "He acts just like my horse. Spoiled rotten." I said "Hey! MY horse is not spoiled!." She backtracked and said she meant he acted like her spoiled horse, with all that dancing and blowing. Then another pulse taker asked me if I worried about Lance tying up because fatter horses tend to do that. I said, "Now listen up ladies. I didn't survive this ride just to come here to listen to y'all call my boy a spoiled rotten fat brat! He hears enough of that and more at home from me!!". After that, he was the most beautiful horse there. Those ladies knew exactly what I needed to hear, especially since I hadn't had a beer yet. Great job to all those friends and family members  of the Linahans, who worked the Hahira, Ga River Run. Me and my fat brat lived to tell about it. Lisa Salas, The Odd FArm  The one thing we should not tolerate is abuse.
---- End included message ----