Completion Lamess (was Silver State)

What is really bothering me is the idea that a vet can't pull a horse if it
was "only" grade 2. (Beside the fact it's hard to limp if all four feet feel
the same.) It's true, if lamesness grade is all that is considered. AERC
criteria is "Fit to Continue". This encompasses the grade of lameness plus
metabolic factors. I'd be willing to bet a CRI performed on this horse (if
it was truly in pain) would have been greatly elevated. In conjunction with
a grade 2 lameness I think a vet should then have grounds not to complete
the horse.
I got to observe a lot of the finishes at the NC ride this year. There were
several horses denied completion at the finish. Grumblings from the peanut
gallery indicated that people were used to seeing lame horses get
completions. I congratulate the vets there for having the guts to stick to a
standard we can all be proud of.
As a side note, how do you all feel about the practice of standing horses in
buckets of ice before presenting for soundness trot outs? It's one thing to
use ice boots to tighten the legs & prevent swelling, (like prior to BC
judging) it's another to numb the whole foot (prior to completion exam)
isn't it??? Or am I being to nit-picky?

Nancy Mitts